There are many fitness benefits to be had by exercising with a friend. One of the best ways to keep active or get back into exercise for the long-term is to do it with a friend. Exercise is greatly enhanced when you are with a buddy and/or in a small group setting.
So why not stack the odds in your favour! Here are a number of benefits to illustrate that doing it together, is better:
1. Accountability – when you have someone counting on you, you are far less likely to skip a workout. Making plans to meet your friend at 6am is much more concrete than vaguely planning to exercise alone in the morning or after work. Set a date and don’t be late!
2. Exercise becomes more fun – a key element in forming a lifestyle habit is fun. It’s always more enjoyable to share an experience with a friend. It also allows you try out other activities. After all, it’s pretty hard to do boxing with someone without a buddy holding the pads.
3. You tend to get more out of the session – you’ll work that bit harder when exercising with a partner. It can bring out a competitive instinct that allows you both to push your limits. You’re more likely to do a few extra reps when you’re being spurred on.
4. Work out longer – time flies when you’re having fun… or at least when you are distracted. Having someone to chat with between sets let’s you focus on something other than just your workout making the time go by faster.
5. You are more likely to try new things – ever wanted to try a fun run or a boxing class but felt intimidated going there alone? With a partner your excuses are now removed. It opens up all sorts of possibilities to new forms of exercise.
6. Reduced costs – that personal training session instantly became cheaper for both of you! And, you’ll still get plenty of individual attention from the trainer.
7. Social well-being – social interaction is often listed as an important factor for many people when choosing exercise. Training with a partner gives you that social contact that is often non-existent when going solo.
8. Shared goals – if two of you are working towards a common goal, it helps to build more resolve and resilience. It’s a fantastic feeling to achieve a goal, and it can be even better when you achieve it with someone else.
Get a friend, buddy or mum and bub to try a Healthquarters class this month and take advantage of the FREE trail class for all new members. Motivate them to stick with you and encourage them to sign up for the 30 classes for 20 pass which works out at only $11 a class. Valid until 31 November, 2016.